[Lingtyp] Moods and non-finites?

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Sat Jul 15 10:45:56 UTC 2023

Dear Adam and everybody,

just a brief reply to this:

> For a functional-typological audience, I'm sort of surprised the
> distinction is still brought up as if it was discrete (or not just a
> matter of definition as Martin points out), since Bybee discussed the
> issue of inflectional status as a continuum with lexical/derivational
> in her Morphology book some 30+ years ago. It's also well-known that
> these notions of inflection/finiteness are tricky or nonapplicable in
> many so-called polysynthetic languages (e.g. de Reuse 2009).
It is a recurrent misunderstanding among typologists, chiefly of
particularist persuasion, that a grammatical concept should be dispensed
with because it is not discrete, covers a continuum, is not applicable
to all languages or what not. If one takes this position, then *no*
grammatical concept whatsoever can be used in the description of more
than one language. It seems more realistic, and even methodologically
more fruitful, to live by concepts whose cross-linguistic application is
"tricky".
--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4