[Lingtyp] Moods and non-finites?

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Sat Jul 15 10:26:45 UTC 2023

I'll try to answer the questions directly as someone who is definitely not
in the Finnish tradition.

The question wasː

" I would be interested to know whether linguists outside the Finnish
tradition see it as problematic or unproblematic to call the morpheme -*ne*-
in *valmistu-ne-va* (2) a participle a marker of a morphological
(inflectional) mood."

No, I wouldn't regard this as problematic necessarily, because I think it
just depends on how you define finiteness in Finnish. Your question makes
me think that maybe the relevant construction grates against some
distinctions made in (Finnish) traditional grammar (nonfininte = lack of
mood; potential = mood??).

There's a book edited by Nikolaeva called *Finiteness: Theoretical and
Empirical Foundations*. I read this book some time ago, but came away from
it asking what exactly we were gaining by talking about finiteness as a
binary distinction to begin with:

This is the case in both formal and functional approaches respectively:

"I have argued, in line with expectations, that there is no clear mapping
from
the traditional notion of finiteness to the categories of formal grammar.
There
are phenomena, and there are attempted explanations of those phenomena
which are embedded within a theoretical system. Typically, the terms in
which
the explanation is couched will be far removed from the terms in
which the original phenomenon was described, and I believe this is the case
for finiteness." (Adger 2007:28)

"Thus, the notions of finiteness and nonfiniteness do not provide either an
adequate account of a speaker’s linguistic knowledge or an adequate
description
of particular phenomena in individual languages. In this respect, finiteness
and nonfiniteness are not cross-linguistically relevant categories, and not
even categories relevant to divergent constructions within particular
languages." (Cristofaro 2007:109)

For a functional-typological audience, I'm sort of surprised the
distinction is still brought up as if it was discrete (or not just a matter
of definition as Martin points out), since Bybee discussed the issue of
inflectional status as a continuum with lexical/derivational in her
Morphology book some 30+ years ago. It's also well-known that these notions
of inflection/finiteness are tricky or nonapplicable in many so-called
polysynthetic languages (e.g. de Reuse 2009).

Are there any parallels to forms like this, and possibly studies on these
issues?"

Speaking for myself, I think it depends on how close a construction has to
be to the Finnish participle for you to regard it as "parallel". All
same-subject clauses, different subject clauses, nominalized /
noun-modifying clauses can take the "remote future" in Chácobo. Some of
them can take a "volitional" some not. And the few clauses I might regard
as subordinate in Araona can take a "potential" marker. Any one of these
clauses (except *probably* the different subject clauses), might be
translation equivalents of the Finnish participle.

I think if you fish around, you'll find there are reasons to regard any of
the aforementioned constructions as finite or nonfinite, especially insofar
as finite means "less categories". If its restricted to independent
illocutionary force, depends on what type of clause-type marking we are
looking (imperative, reportative, interrogative). -

best,

p.s. if you're interested in more on Chacobo/Araona private message me :)

Adam

Adger, D. (2007). Three domains of finiteness: a Minimalist perspective. In
I. Nikolaeva (Ed.), *Finiteness: Theoretical and Empirical Foundations*
(pp. 23-58). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Bybee, J. L. (1985). *Morphology: A study of the relation between meaning
and form.* Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.

Cristafaro, S. (2007). Deconstructing categories: finiteness in a
functional-typological perspective. In I. Nikolaeva (Ed.), *Finiteness:
Theoretical and Empirical issues* (pp. 91-114). Oxford: Oxford University
Press.

de Reuse, W. J. (2009). Polysynthesis as a typological feature: An attempt
at a characterization from Eskimo and Athabaskan perspectives. In M.-A.
Mahieu, & N. Tersis (Eds.), *Variations in Polysynthesis: The Eskaleut
languages* (pp. 19-34). Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Co.

Adam J.R. Tallman
Post-doctoral Researcher
Friedrich Schiller Universität
Department of English Studies