[Lingtyp] Moods and non-finites?

Jussi Ylikoski jussi.ylikoski at utu.fi
Sat Jul 15 21:50:33 UTC 2023

Dear Björn,

Oh, mea culpa – indeed, it is the Russian subjunctive participles and converbs that are not normative, although those exist, too.

As to your questions on Russian, there are dozens if not hundreds of experts on the list, so I’d rather refrain from trying myself. As regards your general questions at the end of your message, I could imagine that your hypotheses have been or at least could be proven correct. Perhaps Martin Haspelmath’s ”On the cross-linguistic distribution of same-subject and different-subject ‘want’ complements: Economic vs. iconic motivation” (2013) is something in this direction?

Best,

Jussi