[Lingtyp] incipient ergativity conditioned by number of A

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Thu Jun 1 07:18:18 UTC 2023

Dear David,
in both Sinhala and Sri Lanka Malay, institutional actors (government,
board, committee, police) are marked with the instrumental. I suppose
that your Likud examples would get the instrumental as well in those
languages.

You write that [number] seems to be the relevant factor. But if you have
"one baker" and "thirteen bakers", you would probably not get the
difference. So it might be more the feature [+institutional] or
[+collective], as you say.

When looking into the instrumental in the Sri Lankan languages, I was
wondering whether British English agreement ("The committee have
discussed ... ") and Dutch feminine institutional reference ("het
kabinet en haar beleid" 'the cabinet[N] and her[F] policies') are
actually triggered by the same semantics. I found that interesting since
this is a grammatical fact that relies on the society having some kind
of bureaucracy, which poses interesting questions with regard to innateness.
Best wishes
Sebastian