[Lingtyp] incipient ergativity conditioned by number of A

Silvia Luraghi luraghi at unipv.it
Thu Jun 1 07:55:45 UTC 2023

Dear David,
I agree with Chrsitian and Sebastian, this is a way of deindividualizing
the agent and rather than with number it is connected with
collective/institutional referents. In Italian you find the same,
especially in journalistic discourse, e.g.
Nel PD ci si interroga sulla linea da tenere
in_the PD one REFL asks on_the line to keep
"In the Democratic Party they wonder what line they should adopt"
Interestingly, this is ok with collective nouns that are morphologically
singular but with nouns that are morphologically plural you cannot use
plural articles, you must treat them as if they were not count plurals:
Nella Lega ci si interroga ... OK
in_the(SG)  Lega(SG) ...
*Nei Fratelli d'Italia ci si interroga... (impossible)
in_the(PL) Fratelli(PL) d'Italia
In Fratelli d'Italia ci si interroga... OK (here the preposition in comes
without the article)
Silvia

Silvia Luraghi
Università di Pavia
Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici, Sezione di Linguistica
Strada Nuova 65
I-27100 Pavia
tel.: +39/0382/984685
Web page personale: https://studiumanistici.unipv.it/?pagina=docenti&id=68