[Lingtyp] incipient ergativity conditioned by number of A

Dmitri Sitchinava mitrius at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 10:06:28 UTC 2023

In Ukraine (both in Ukrainian and in Russian) a popular journalistic
construction since 2019 has been *U Zelenskoho zajavyly '*At Zelensky's
(impersonal) they-said'*, *implying that Zelensky was not quite an
independent actor and his spokesmen had a kind of collective institutional
agentivity. Later it was extended to *u Putina *etc., being now a default
construction for spokesmen.

Dmitri