[Lingtyp] incipient ergativity conditioned by number of A

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Thu Jun 1 13:10:11 UTC 2023

Hi all,

In the Hebrew case I am not sure it deindividualizes the agent, or maybe I
don't know what that means exactly when the agent referent is a collective.
The construction has a rather specific meaning, which is indeed
collective/institutional but contrasts with the construction with an
unmarked S/A, namely, that there are those within the group that PREDICATE,
with this implicature that it is a significant number.

This implicature is cancellable, which is *not* the case with the unmarked
S/A construction. So in David's example, you could easily follow this with
a sentence like "But their number is small." In contrast, the Hebrew
equivalent of the sentence "The Likud is willing...." could not easily be
followed by "But their number is small" or anything like that. I don't know
what happens in the other languages that have been mentioned here.

So it seems that the unmarked S/A construction has the
collective/institutional meaning, while the locative-marked S/A seems to
mean that the action was not taken univocally. Probably more examples would
help to clear this up.

Eitan

Eitan Grossman
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972 2 588 3809