[Lingtyp] A generalization about morphological and syntactic causatives

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 20:23:23 UTC 2023

I've worked on the recently extinct genetic isolate Yahgan from Tierra del
Fuego for the past quarter of a century. It had a simple causative tu:-
(colon marks the tenseness of the vowel preceding it) and a
permissive-causative u:-, and other voice prefixes containing both. It also
had two lexemes used in periphrastic causatives wvshta:gu: (v schwa, sh
shibilant voiceless fricative) 'work,do, make, manufacture, create, labor,
complete, accomplish, act' and  a:kina 'do, make, work, capture, catch, get
back, retake'. The difference between them is that wvshta:gu: appears to be
used where something NEW is made or done versus a:kina, where the former
state is restored (so anti-entropic?). Based on the fact that most of the
grammatical affixes still have full lexical antecedents I'd speculate that
split between the morphological and lexical/periphrastic causatives was
still in play when the language became moribund decades ago. So maybe a
language has to 'choose' at some point, and Yahgan hadn't done so yet when
it became extinct?

Jess Tauber

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>