[Lingtyp] A generalization about morphological and syntactic causatives

Neil Myler myler at bu.edu
Wed Jun 7 19:57:03 UTC 2023

Dear Juergen,
isiXhosa (Nguni, Bantu) is a counter-example.  These examples come from a
joint paper by me and Zoliswa Mali that came out in* Syntax* a couple of
years ago (the bolding highlights an alternation in the marking of the
causee that plays an important role in the paper; numerals in the glosses
are for noun classes):

[image: Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 3.53.39 PM.png]
[image: Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 3.54.04 PM.png]

Best,
Neil