[Lingtyp] A generalization about morphological and syntactic causatives

Kofi Yakpo kofi at hku.hk
Thu Jun 8 03:35:07 UTC 2023

Dear Juergen,

A further complicating factor is probably the gradient nature of
morphological vs. periphrastic causatives and associated meanings. Pichi
(African Caribbean English Lexifier Creole, Equatorial Guinea) has two
periphrastic causatives.

In (1) The causative event is expressed in two *finite* clauses rather than
in a main clause. The subordinate clause of effect is introduced by a
subjunctive complementizer and the causee may only be expressed as the
subject of the subjunctive (effect) clause; (2) involves argument sharing
and deranking - the causee NP is the syntactic object of the main predicate
and simultaneously the notional subject of the *non-finite* subordinate
(effect) clause predicate (https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/85; p.
365-370):

(1) *à mék mék é chɔ́p*
    1sg.sbj make sbjv 3sg.sbj eat
    'I made her/him eat' [direct or indirect causation]

(2)* à mék=àm chɔ́p*
    1sg.sbj make=3sg.obj eat
    'I made her/him eat.' [direct causation]

*@Sebastian Dom*: maybe the syntactic causative in Kagulu developed to
signal (a degree of) indirect causation and then largely displaced
morphological causation?

Cheers,
Kofi
————
Dr Kofi Yakpo • Associate Professor
Chair of Linguistics <http://www.linguistics.hku.hk/> • University of Hong
Kong <http://arts.hku.hk/>
My publications @ zenodo
<https://zenodo.org/search?page=1&size=20&q=yakpo&sort=-publication_date> •
 My Page <http://hub.hku.hk/cris/rp/rp01715>

Recently published:
Creole prosodic systems are areal, not simple
<https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.690593>
Social entrenchment influences the amount of areal borrowing
<https://zenodo.org/record/5651783>
Unidirectional multilingual convergence
<https://doi.org/10.1080/14790718.2021.1978453>
Two types of language contact involving English Creoles
<https://zenodo.org/record/6375868>