[Lingtyp] Truc, machin and friends

Joseph Farquharson jtfarquharson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 15:45:01 UTC 2023

Dear Raffaele:

In Jamaican, an English-related Creole spoken mainly in the Caribbean
island-state of Jamaica,
we have several fillers which we can divide into those meant to fill in for
forgotten information and
those meant to avoid explicit mention of something/someone.
FOR ITEMS ONE CANNOT RECALL
*wa/we im niem agen* [what 3SG name again] - used for + ANIMATE and -
ANIMATE referents
*wa/we i niem agen* [what 3SG.NEUT name again] - used for - ANIMATE
referents
*wa dem kaal i* [what 3PL call 3SG.NEUT]  - used for - ANIMATE referents
I have heard the following used by someone searching for the name of a
descriptive word to apply to a person
while narrating something that happened: *wa yu uda kaal i agen* [what 2SG
MOD call 3SG.NEUT again]

FOR ITEMS ONE PREFERS/WANTS TO *NOT *MENTION

*di ting (de)*  [DET thing (DISTAL)]

*da ting de* [DEM thing DISTAL]