[Lingtyp] Truc, machin and friends

Matthew Windsor matthew_windsor at sil.org
Mon Mar 13 17:04:39 UTC 2023

Hi Raffaele,

Ojibwe has a set of placeholder "pausal" pronouns which inflect for animacy
and number. See Valentine 2001 p.484. These occur very frequently in the
Oji-Cree dialect I work with. I believe Cree has a set as well which I've
heard called "hesitation pronouns".

Valentine, Rand. 2001. Nishnaabemwin reference grammar. Toronto: University
of Toronto Press.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 10:45 AM Joseph Farquharson <jtfarquharson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Raffaele:
>
> In Jamaican, an English-related Creole spoken mainly in the Caribbean
> island-state of Jamaica,
> we have several fillers which we can divide into those meant to fill in
> for forgotten information and
> those meant to avoid explicit mention of something/someone.
> FOR ITEMS ONE CANNOT RECALL
> *wa/we im niem agen* [what 3SG name again] - used for + ANIMATE and -
> ANIMATE referents
> *wa/we i niem agen* [what 3SG.NEUT name again] - used for - ANIMATE
> referents
> *wa dem kaal i* [what 3PL call 3SG.NEUT]  - used for - ANIMATE referents
> I have heard the following used by someone searching for the name of a
> descriptive word to apply to a person
> while narrating something that happened: *wa yu uda kaal i agen* [what
> 2SG MOD call 3SG.NEUT again]
>
> FOR ITEMS ONE PREFERS/WANTS TO *NOT *MENTION
>
> *di ting (de)*  [DET thing (DISTAL)]
>
> *da ting de* [DEM thing DISTAL]
>
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2023 at 07:34, Eline Visser <eelienu at pm.me> wrote:
>
>> Hi Raffaele,
>>
>> Papuan Kalamang (kgv) uses neba 'what' and don 'thing' as placeholders:
>> https://paperhive.org/documents/items/e7TDfjRZRHtB?a=p:455. There's more
>> and newer information in the abstract in the attachment.
>>
>> Kalamang Austronesian neighbour Uruangnirin (urn) has suai 'what' and
>> suai da ka 'what REL DIST'. I don't have a published source for you yet,
>> but let me know if you want to know more.

>> Lingtyp mailing list
>> Lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org

*Matt Windsor*

Linguistics & Translation | SIL