[Lingtyp] "grammatically encoded" - reply to Riccardo

Bisang, Prof. Dr. Walter wbisang at uni-mainz.de
Mon Mar 27 18:30:48 UTC 2023

Dear all,

thank you for this highly interesting and thought-provoking discussion. In this context, I would like to point your attention to a recent volume edited by Andrej Malchukov and I in 2020 (Grammaticalization Scenarios: Cross-linguistic Variation and Universal Tendencies, 2 Vols. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter). One of our aims was to quantify potential covariation effects between different parameters in pathways of grammaticalization from SOURCE to TARGET.

In cooperation with some 30 colleagues and renowned experts, who contributed data and chapters on 29 languages / families / areas, we collected data on some 1.000 pathways across the globe. Each pathway was checked for the following parameters (strongly inspired by Christian Lehmann’s work, with some differences):

Semantic Integrity
Phonetic Reduction
Paradigmaticity
Bondedness
Pardigmatic Variability (obligatoriness)
Syntagmatic Variability
Decategorization
Allomorphy

Each of these parameters were associated with predefined values (1, 2, 3, 4, see questionnaire in the volume). Then, we assigned one these values to each TARGET and we calculated if there was a value change from SOURCE to TARGET ([+] or [–]).

The results clearly show a more fine-grained pattern than is often assumed in general statements on (i) the coevolution of meaning and form and on (ii) the primacy of pragmatic inference.

What seems to be robust across different tests is, roughly summarized, that there are two clusters of covariation between parameters, which we called function-related and form-related. While there are interactions within these clusters, covariation across these clusters is much less frequent.

function-related:
Semantic Integrity, Paradigmaticity, Syntagmatic Variability, Decategorization

form-related:

Phonetic Reduction, Bondedness, Paradigmatic Variability, Allomoprhy

Moreover, there are also family-related issues which need further attention. We think that we just covered the peak of the iceberg with our study. More research, including in particular research beyond the familiar European languages, will be needed for understanding what underlies processes of linguistic change as we recurrently find them in pathways of grammaticalization cross-linguistically.

All the best,
Walter