[Lingtyp] languages without feet?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri May 5 19:02:49 UTC 2023

Hi Adam, all,

In a couple of recent publications on Riau Indonesian (below), I argue,
inter alia, that although there is no word-level stress, there is
actually lots of other phonological stuff going on, providing strong
support for the existence of a disyllabic foot. So essentially the
opposite of what you are looking for.

Best,

David

Gil, David (2020) "What Does It Mean to Be an Isolating Language? The
Case of Riau Indonesian", in D. Gil and A. Schapper eds., /Austronesian
Undressed: How and Why Languages Become Isolating/, John Benjamins,
Amsterdam, 9-96.

Gil, David (2022) "Monosyllables in Malay/Indonesian, A Tale of Two
Ludlings", in N. Faust ed., /Markedness and Non-Concatenative
Morphology, A Collection of Papers in Honor of Outi Bat-El,/ /Radical, A
Journal of Phonology/4:45-100.

On 05/05/2023 18:16, Adam James Ross Tallman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In Caroline Féry's excellent /Prosodic Structure and Intonation/, she
> describes a class of "phrase languages", identified as languages
> whereby there isn't much going on at the level of the prosodic word.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had *described* explicitly a language where
> the same thing could be said of feet (neither iambic or trochaic)? Or
> perhaps even more radically, not just that the feet don't do much, but
> that they aren't there at all?
>
> Perhaps there's lots  of cases where feet haven't been proposed, are
> there any cases where they had been proposed, but then further
> research (perhaps some phonetic study) found that there was no
> evidence for them?
>
> best,
>
> Adam
>
> --
> Adam J.R. Tallman
> Post-doctoral Researcher
> Friedrich Schiller Universität
> Department of English Studies

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-082113720302