[Lingtyp] languages without feet?

Mark Post mark.post at sydney.edu.au
Tue May 9 06:08:43 UTC 2023

Hi Adam,

That’s a lot of questions, but FWIW – and freely admitting that I’m no philosopher of science – to the extent that a given style of argument basically inoculates itself from falsification through lack of positive evidence (you haven’t shown that it’s not not there…), its proponents are probably not going to find such efforts convincing, regardless of whatever you or I might think. I’m not necessarily endorsing that way of thinking, but to the extent that it exists, I’m asking whether we can find positive evidence that assuming a “foot” for a particular language is actually a bad idea.

I’m interested in this because, under the assumption that “foot” is the focus of prosodic phenomena exclusively (not, e.g., segmental phenomena that could not be attributed to syl or wd; if this is wrong I’d be happy to be corrected), it seems useful to assume this unit of analysis for cross-linguistic comparison even if, for a particular language, “foot” turned out to be isomorphic with, for example, “word” as defined through segmental criteria (and assuming that most analysts would not adopt the reverse approach – attributing segmental phenomena to the “foot”, and doing away with “word” – though in principle, I suppose one could). Perhaps the sort of counterevidence that I’m suggesting looking for might be a language that showed evidence for multiple units between syl and phrase, and in which segmental and prosodic phenomena referenced units both above and below one another – though I’m not aware of such a language.

I think this is a little bit different from the other types of case you mentioned, as at least in principle, “foot” could have a universal functional motivation in prosodic organisation (e.g. rhythm), as opposed to being just a formal structure.

Cheers
Mark