[Lingtyp] Pronouns, politeness, political correctness

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Wed May 10 14:59:32 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

I should, first of all, say that it was not my intention to start a
discussion on political correctness on this forum. On the one hand, it
is pretty clear that, among all genuinely linguistic issues, this is the
one which engages most people emotionally, which  means that a rational
and constructive discussion is very hard to conduct. On the other, one
may ask why this would be an appropriate topic for LingTyp. So, to
repeat, the only thing that I requested was that people refrain from
criticizing or commenting on other people's usage if political
correctness is at stake. It seems that nobody among those who have taken
up the topic is really against this request.

This being said, it seems also clear that the issue involves a number of
problems that are of linguistic interest (although not necessarily of
typological interest). One is the question brought up by Maïa: Do we
have a right to determine our name? And further: Do we have a right to
determine how our people (our ethnos), town and our country are called?
(Remember that political correctness has often required speakers to
stick to the most recent redenomination realized by locals.)

Another is the question of politeness brought up by Jürgen: If I use an
expression that some people find politically incorrect, at the same time
sincerely and  credibly assuring interlocutors that I mean no harm (and
if required, distancing myself explicitly from pejorative or otherwise
negative connotations that some people associate with it), is it then me
who is impolite or is it those people who insist that I speak otherwise?

Again, these are issues of pragmatics rather than typology. But we
typologists are not really that narrow-minded; so if people want to take
it up, go ahead.

Best,
Christian
--