[Lingtyp] Pronouns, politeness, political correctness

Nicholas Kontovas kontovas at gmail.com
Wed May 10 15:18:26 UTC 2023

I sent a version of this message earlier, but realised just now I only sent
it to Christian.

Maybe it's just me, but as a native speaker of English, when there is a
referent whose gender is unknown or a hypothetical referent of unspecified
gender, it actually sounds strange enough to border on ungrammatical to use
third person singular masculine pronouns. It makes it seem as if there is a
specific person of whom the speaker is aware but that they've forgotten to
introduce them in the preceding discourse.

I know there is no common gender non-specified third person singular
pronoun in German, so knowing that Christian is German, I wouldn't have
thought twice about the error unless he'd drawn attention to it. I would
think it was just obvious interference from German. That said, it does seem
bizarrely antagonistic to pre-empt any comments on it out of the blue.
There are plenty of reasons not to prefer that construction that have
nothing to do with "political correctness"; it just doesn't fit my native
speaker intuition.

If we'd like to make the discussion more linguistic, maybe other native
English speakers can chime in with their judgements on "he" for referents
of unspecified gender :-) Also, maybe mention your native dialect to see if
that matters. Mine is working-class NYC metro area English.

Best,

Niko