[Lingtyp] Pronouns, politeness, political correctness

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Wed May 10 15:41:30 UTC 2023

Sebastian, your hierarchy looks interesting.

> an interesting aspect is that "ownership" of 2nd person pronouns is
> not contested. You can request that someone use the V-form (vous, Sie,
> Usted) when addressing you, and it is universally accepted that they
> have to comply.
It has happened to me repeatedly that according to my standards, I
treated a stranger by /Sie/, and then he (less often, she) told me that
this did not correspond to his standards and continued to address me by
/du/.

So I agree, there is a hierarchy, and it apparently involves more than
just the pronouns of the three persons.

--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4