[Lingtyp] on how we present gender information in research - a survey

Giorgia Troiani gtroiani at ucsb.edu
Thu May 11 18:30:40 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Given the discussion that just took place, some of you might be interested
in taking part in this research project that some colleagues at UC Santa
Barbara are starting (see link below). They are interested in understanding
how researchers collect and present information about sex and gender in
different disciplines and research projects. I believe they normally would
not post in this list, but, if you saw it somewhere else, apologies for
cross-posting.

Aside from the specifics of the current discussion, I personally think
that, given how these practices are rapidly evolving, discussing the way in
which we present gender not only in talking about researchers, but in
examples within our publications as well, could be interesting. I am aware
that, in the past, there were efforts in asking to minimize (where
possible) examples with overt displays of gendered and/or interpersonal
violence (e.g. *Mark hit Mary*). I am not aware of any effort in the
direction of proposing guidelines to present gender in ways that are more
in line with the requests that traditionally under-represented minorities
are advancing across the globe to enhance their visibility.

In any case, if you can contribute to the survey, please consider doing so.
And consider sharing this survey with others.

Best,

Giorgia

-----

Dear colleagues,

A research team at UC Santa Barbara is seeking participants in a survey of
linguists who conduct human subjects research. Specifically, the survey is
focused on these researchers’ practices around collecting and reporting
information about participants’ demographics, especially sex and/or gender.

Survey URL: https://ucsb.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eqUf0y0AA3uvB0G

The survey is *anonymous*, and to be eligible you must be 18 or older and
you must hold or be *currently working toward a post-Bachelor’s degree in
Linguistics* (i.e., MA, MS, PhD, MPhil, DPhil, etc.). Human subjects
research includes any research that involves direct interaction with living
persons, whether in person or virtually.

The survey should take approximately *15-20 minutes to complete*, depending
on how much detail you provide. There are no benefits or risks associated
with participation. However, our ultimate goals are to identify the most
common practices in different areas of linguistics and to offer best
practices that reflect the complexities of sex and/or gender for different
types of research purposes.

The team currently on this project includes Cooper Bedin, Marina Zhukova,
and Lal Zimman as faculty supervisor. Please reach out to
transresearchinlinguisticslab at gmail.com if you have any questions.

Best,

Cooper, Marina & Lal

--
Giorgia Troiani (she/they)

Visiting scholar, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nazarbayev
University
PhD Candidate, Linguistics, University of California Santa Barbara
Situated on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Chumash
people (more information here <https://www.bbc-indians.com/>)

Website <https://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/giorgia-troiani>
Zoom room <http://ucsb.zoom.us/my/giorgiatroiani>

I stand in solidarity with every fellow academic fighting for the right to
a union, fair wages, and a workplace free from discrimination and
harassment. Dignity is a non-negotiable human right. An injury to one is an
injury to all