[Lingtyp] allophony of [h] and [ɸ]

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Fri May 19 19:11:40 UTC 2023

The above allophony is well known from Japanese. My current problem is
to describe it for Cabecar (Chibchan, Costa Rica). The conditioning
context is almost the same in these languages: What appears as [ɸ]
before [ɯ] (in Japanese) or [u] (in Cabecar) is [h] otherwise.

Intuition would suggest that this is an assimilation of what is
basically an /h/ to the features of the following vowel. However, my
phonetics and phonology are insufficient to answer the two obvious
questions:

 1. What is the phonetic motivation for this distribution?
 2. Is there a phonological feature shared by [ɸ], on one hand, and both
    [u] and [ɯ], on the other, which could figure in a formulation of
    the assimilation?

Let it be said that my phonology was shaped a couple of years ago by
Chomsky & Halle 1968; so I am prepared to be told that this is of no
concern anymore and the fruitful approach is entirely different.
Nevertheless, the two questions may make sense even outside this
particular framework.

I would be very grateful for help from you phonologists (or anybody else).
--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4

Tel.: 	+49/361/2113417