[Lingtyp] allophony of [h] and [ɸ]

Ian Joo ian_joo at nucba.ac.jp
Fri May 19 19:39:50 UTC 2023

Dear Christian,

[u] and Japanese [ɯ] both involve labial articulation. I don’t know the specifics of Cabecar [u], but normally an [u] involves some degree of lip rounding. Japanese [ɯ], although not rounded, involves lip compression. Thus they are likelier to be coarticulated with [ɸ], which is a labial consonant.

You probably know already but Japanese [ɸ~h] was [ɸ] in all positions before, and before that it was [p] in all positions. So it might be better to analyze whether such lenition has occurred in Cabecar as well.

From Netherlands,
Ian