[Lingtyp] allophony of [h] and [ɸ], revised version [discard preceding version]

Ian Maddieson ianm at berkeley.edu
Sat May 20 18:49:59 UTC 2023

Just a note on the vowel chart here — formant measurements in Verhoeven (2011) indicate that
the two vowels labeled here (and by her) as back unrounded are in fact central vowels (as is the
case for the great majority of vowels written with <a> in the world’s languages).

Ian

Ian Maddieson

Department of Linguistics
University of New Mexico