[Lingtyp] [ɸ] - [h]

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed May 24 05:41:35 UTC 2023

Dear Christian,

“Questions such as whether [ts] consists of two segments /ts/ or is one affricate /ʦ/ are not solvable by phonetics (to the best of my knowledge), but are resolved by analyzing the distribution of this element.” This is in fact how I have proceeded for Mojeño Trinitario (Arawak, Bolivia) to distinguish the bi-phonemic sequence /ts/ from the phoneme /ʦ/. Yet this is backed up by phonetics (in particular the duration of the fricative part), as shown in the following paper.

Rose, Françoise. 2021. Mojeño Trinitario. Journal of the International Phonetic Association (Illustration of the IPA) 1–19. (doi:10.1017/S0025100320000365<https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025100320000365>)

As for your original question, “Assuming that I want a rule that assimilates a fricative to a following [u], producing [ɸ], I will have to accept an articulatory feature like [labial] in my phonology. Does this correspond to the state of the art in phonology?” I would say yes. I use the class “labial consonant” to explain the change affecting a vowel following this class of consonant:
Labialization; {Labial C}{non-front V}{front V} → {Labial C}w{a͡e,i}

Rose, Françoise. 2019. Rhythmic syncope and opacity in Mojeño Trinitario. Phonological data and analysis 1(2). 1–25.

Best,
Françoise