[Lingtyp] Affricates vs. stop-fricative clusters

Cat Butz Cat.Butz at hhu.de
Wed May 24 08:46:44 UTC 2023

Hello Françoise,

Interesting, so far I only knew of Polish as an example of a language
which distinguishes affricates from their corresponding stop-fricative
clusters. Thanks for doubling that!

(For anyone who's interested: /t͡ʃ/ is distinguished from /tʃ/ through a
longer duration and/or allophonic trilling/flapping into a voiceless
[tr̝] of the latter in Polish.)

Best,
---
Cat Butz (she/they)