[Lingtyp] [ɸ] - [h]

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Wed May 24 15:52:36 UTC 2023

Hi Larry,

thanks for the suggestion. However, unless memory fails me, all back
vowels are [+ grave]. So we appear to need [+high] in addition.

I do consider the alternative of an initial [ɸ] going to [h] except
before a high back vowel. Apart from the problem that diachronic
evidence will be hard to come by in the case of Cabecar, we would then
face a typological problem, viz. of a (proto-)language whose fricatives
are [s], [ʃ] and [ɸ], without an [h]. Again, a clash with Roman Jakobson.

E-Post: 	christianw_lehmann at arcor.de
Web: 	https://www.christianlehmann.eu