[Lingtyp] ALTXV call for workshop proposals

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 10:09:50 UTC 2023

Hi Folks,
Just a reminder that ALTXV is scheduled for one year from today (8-10 Nov 2024), to be held in Zhuhai, China, a scenic spot just across the bridge from Hong Kong (see the campus pictures on the website: https://sites.google.com/view/alt2024/home).

The call for workshop proposals was announced 18 Sept (see attached), and the deadline for workshop proposal submissions is 20 Nov 2023.

Other relevant dates:
Workshop acceptance notification: Dec 18, 2023
General call for papers: Dec 20, 2023
General abstract deadline: March 15, 2024
Abstract acceptance notification: May 20, 2024
Registration opens: May 21, 2024
Registration deadline: November 4, 2024

We are planning to have the whole conference in hybrid format, and have set different fees for online-only participation: $48 for students and $80 for others.

In-person attendance is only $300, which covers the conference fee, housing, all food (three meals a day plus break snacks), and specially arranged transportation within campus.

I know some people are reticent to travel to China, but then you would not be able to interact with the Chinese scholars. They have to a certain extent been cut off from the rest of the word due to the Great Firewall and restrictions on travel, but are very eager to connect with scholars outside China. The reason I work in China is because they have an extremely lively linguistics scene, with many thousands of linguists, such that if you give a talk here online, you may have 4,000 people in the audience. Martin has given such talks here. The young ones in particular are enthusiastic, hard-working, read whatever they can get their hands on in English or Chinese, and do a lot of translating of English works into Chinese to be able to spread ideas they think are worth knowing. Linguistic typology is very popular in China, and the young scholars would get great encouragement from meeting and hearing presentations by some of their idols!

As mentioned on the website, getting to Zhuhai is relatively easy: If you are coming from outside China, it is recommended you fly into Hong Kong or Macao airport and then take one of the buses from there. The big bus from HK is only HK$ 65 (about US$ 8.00), or half that if you are a senior citizen. You can book the big bus (or smaller buses) at the China Travel Service desk at one end of Terminal 1 of the HK airport. It will take you to the Zhuhai side of the amazing 55km long Hong Kong-Macao-Zhuhai bridge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong%E2%80%93Zhuhai%E2%80%93Macau_Bridge), and then you can take a cab to the University for RMB 60-70 (about US$ 8.00-$10.00). We will have people stationed at the entry points to assist you. There is also a ferry from the airport, but the bus is easier. Another option is private limos that go back and forth as well for RMB 1500 (about US$ 205). Of course it is also possible to fly into Guangzhou and then take the train down to Tangjiawan Station, which is near our campus.

See the website for information about entry requirements (https://sites.google.com/view/alt2024/practicalities/traveling-to-zhuhai)

Hope to see you here!

Randy
——
Professor Randy J. LaPolla(罗仁地), PhD FAHA
Center for Language Sciences
Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Beijing Normal University at Zhuhai
A302, Muduo Building, #18 Jinfeng Road, Zhuhai City, Guangdong, China

https://randylapolla.info <https://randylapolla.info/>
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6100-6196

邮编:519087
广东省珠海市唐家湾镇金凤路18号木铎楼A302