[Lingtyp] demotion

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed Oct 11 14:51:15 UTC 2023

You may have a look at Katarzyna Janic's project on P-demotion in
typological perspective (see
https://wn.amu.edu.pl/sprawy-naukowe/projekty/katarzyna-janic,-towards-grammatical-iconicity-of-language-a-crosslinguistic-study-of-p-demotion-constructions),
e.g. this paper
<https://czasopisma.uph.edu.pl/index.php/contemporary/article/view/1846>.
She discusses incorporation in connection with P-demotion.

It depends of course on the definition of "demotion". In my 2022 paper
on valency and voice constructions, I limit the term to situations where
a core argument becomes an oblique argument (see the glossary here:
https://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/005941). This is probably all we need, as
there is no "subject-to-object demotion", or "argument-to-adjunct
demotion" (passive agents are oblique arguments, not adjuncts).

And it depends on the definition of "incorporation". For a long time, I
was pessimistic about defining this term (as in this older blogpost
<https://dlc.hypotheses.org/135>), but more recently, I proposed that it
is defined as a type of compounding (see
https://zenodo.org/record/8137251), and I would agree with Guillaume
Jacques that there can be both saturating and non-staturating
incorporation. The term "incorporation" is used in different ways in the
literature, but if you adopt my definition of "compounding", then there
can be different effects on the valency.

Best,

Martin

Martin Haspelmath
Deutscher Platz 6