[Lingtyp] Expletive NEG and scalar additive 'until' clauses

Pier Marco Bertinetto piermarco.bertinetto at sns.it
Thu Sep 7 08:56:40 UTC 2023

Dear Jesus Francisco,
I do not know the language, but the translation you provide puzzles me. It
would rather suggest:
'The bunny came to the party before (= until then not) the turtle did'
I might be wrong of course, but this is reminiscent of the way you would
say 'before' in Ayoreo, namely *uje cama* 'when not yet'.
My two cents.
Pier Marco

Il giorno mer 6 set 2023 alle ore 23:00 Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez <
olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu> ha scritto:

> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering if you know any languages in which expletive negation
> appears in scalar additive constructions, as in (1).
>
> Huasteca Nahuatl
>
> (1)       *huankino         hualah-ki                     kuatochi*,
>

>             and.then          come-pfv                      bunny
>
>             ‘The bunny came to the party,
>

> *hua      asta      amo   **hualah-ki      koxua-li*.
>
> and      until     neg      come-pfv       turtle-abs
>
>                 and even the turtle.’
>
> The expletive negative marker in (1) seems to have an interesting
> discourse function in scalar additive 'until' clauses, and it seems that
> other Mesoamerican languages have developed similar constructions due to
> language contact.
>
> The fact that temporal ‘until’ markers may develop into scalar additive
> operators has not gone unnoticed (König 1991; Jasionytė-Mikučionienė
> 2019: 293). However, to the best of my knowledge, scalar additive ‘until’
> clauses with expletive negation seem to be rare cross-linguistically.
>
> Best,
>
> *References*
> Jasionytė-Mikučionienė, Erika. 2019. Subordinating conjunctions as
> discourse markers in Lithuanian. *Corpus Pragmatics* 3. 285–301
>
> König, Ekkehard. 1991. *The meaning of focus particles: A comparative
> perspective*. London: Routledge.
>
> --
> Jesús Olguín Martínez
> Tenure-track Assistant Professor in Theoretical Linguistics
> Illinois State University English Department
> Alexander von Humboldt alumnus
> Jesús Olguín Martínez | Illinois State University - Academia.edu
> <https://ilstu.academia.edu/Jes%C3%BAsOlgu%C3%ADnMart%C3%ADnez>
>
> Recent publications:
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2023. Semantically negative clause-linkage: ‘Let
> alone’ constructions, (expletive) negation, and theoretical implications. *Linguistic
> Typology* published online July 2023.
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2023. Areality of clause-linkage: The consecutive
> construction in Mesoamerican languages. *Voprosy Jazykoznanija* (‘Topics
> in the Study of Language’) 3. 122-142.
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2023. A typological study of tail-head linkage
> constructions.  In *Discourse phenomena in typological perspective*,   Alessandra
> Barotto and Simone Mattiola (eds.), 403-432. John Benjamins: Studies in
> Language Companian Series.
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús & Manuel Peregrina Llanes. 2022. ‘Without V-ing’
> clauses: Clausal negative concomitance in typological perspective. *Folia
> Linguistica*. *Acta Societatis Linguisticae Europaeae* published online
> December 2022.
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús & Alonso Vásquez. 2022. The contribution of
> Amazonian languages to the typology of purpose clauses. *LIAMES: Línguas
> Indígenas Americanas* 22. 1-21
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2022. Contact-induced language change: The case
> [...]

             ------             professore emerito
            ///////          Scuola Normale Superiore
           -------	       p.za dei Cavalieri 7
          ///////    	         I-56126 PISA
         -------              phone: +39 050 509111
        ///////
       -------                        HOME
      ///////                   via Matteotti  197
     -------                   I-55049 Viareggio LU
    ///////                   phone:  +39 0584 652417
   -------                    cell.:  +39 368 3830251
         editor of "Italian Journal of Linguistics"
  webpage <https://www.ae-info.org/ae/Member/Bertinetto_Pier>