[Lingtyp] the favorative clitic

Bastian Persohn persohn.linguistics at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 11:06:13 UTC 2023

Dear Michael,

Thanks for bringing up that point, which is indeed something where we (or at least I) have been simplifying a bit.

> However, not only in the cross-linguistic study of apprehensives that followed Lichtenberk (e.g. Dobrushina 2006, work by Eva Shultze-Berndt and Marine Vuillermet), but I think also in Lichtenberk himself the category of apprehesion is far from being equated with just negative evaluation, which would be the counterpart to your definition of the approbative. In this line of research, apprehensive is often considered as grammaticalization of warning, sometimes if not often including an element of manipulative speech act (causing the addressee to avoid an undesirable situation or an undesirable consequence; hence the short-lived alternative term preventive). This is how I've been reading it.

I don’t think I would entirely agree. In line with what you said, Lichtenberk discusses these items under the term of „apprehensions epistemic“, i.e. a combination of epistemic possibility plus negative subjective evaluation of the potential state-of-affairs (together yielding the ‚risk of‘ meaning). Why I have been glossing over this dual modal analysis is because I wanted to avoid the (somewhat philosophical) question of whether the epistemic component is actually necessary as a separate meaning element, or whether the subjective evaluation („bouletic“ modality, to use that unfortunate term) entails epistemic possibility (i.e. can you evaluate what is not even considered possible?).

As for the  subsequent works you refer to, I understood them as pointing to warnings as a type of speech acts that apprehensionals tend to surface in, but which are not a necessary prerequisite for a given element to qualify as an apprehensional. I would be very hesitant to equate these two, especially given that we are speaking about a semantic definition on the one hand, vs. usage patterns and pragmatic issues such as interlocutive force on the other hand.

Best,
Bastian