[Lingtyp] Fragment Answers to wh-questions

Ellison Luk ellisonluk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 12:52:56 UTC 2024

P.S. Just to add, in Cantonese, you could expect a verbless, copula-less
answer if you have a sentence-final particle (used to express certainty,
surprise, expectedness). I don't think the number of available particles
are as varied as with sentences, but the following are possibilities.

7) Alice囉!
*Alice lo1*
"Alice!" (It was her, I have direct evidence to it)

8) Alice啩...
*Alice gwaa3*
"Alice maybe..." (not sure, I have no evidence either way)