[Lingtyp] Encoding "right before" across languages

Ellison Luk ellisonluk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 14:18:03 UTC 2024

Hi Pun,

In my survey of Australian languages, I found temporal 'before' markers to
be the least commonly attested out of the three basic temporal relations
(before, while, after). Although I have a few examples for 'right after'
(marked by either sequential markers, simultaneous markers like 'as soon
as', or an undedicated linking marker), I haven't come across any for
'right before', or at least anything that could be construed along those
lines.

This is a bit surprising, since quite a few Australian languages do have
the resources for marking immediate sequentiality -- e.g. serial and
sequential verb inflections (marking immediate sequence on the level of the
verb, clause), sequential discourse markers (marking sequence up to the
level of the sentence/text), 'immediate' aspect markers, and -- in some
languages -- markers of exactitude and limitation ('just...', 'right...').
So it's a good question why 'right before' is so hard to find here.

Best,
Ellison Luk