[Lingtyp] for-to infinitival

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Tue Apr 23 20:15:24 UTC 2024

Dear Christian – My assumption is that bare infinitives are subject to syntactic control (i.e., their unexpressed subject or pivot must be coreferential with a core argument of the matrix), and that the function of the type of construction you are interested in is to block/remove that control requirement, and thus for the argument of the infinitive that would be its subject/pivot in matrix to become expressible. Accordingly, the following terminological choices come to mind:

  *   Anti-control (infinitive) construction
  *   Uncontrolled infinitive (construction)

I’m sure more creative folks than me can come up with more creative expressions of the basic idea.

Best – Juergen

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu<mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)