[Lingtyp] for-to infinitival

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Wed Apr 24 11:28:33 UTC 2024

While I certainly have no desire to terminate the discussion here, for
which I am very grateful, let me just use the occasion for a few
clarifications.

@Elena: This is a surprising idea which I would have liked to adopt.
Unfortunately, there are almost no rules to require or block coreference
of any of the nominals of the superordinate clause with any of the
nominals of the /-klä/ nominalization (@Ellison). The only coreference
which is apparently non-standard [assuming that such a concept makes
sense in an almost unwritten language] is between the absolutive of the
superordinate clause with the (overt!) absolutive of the infinitival.
@Jürgen and Nigel: Like other infinitives in the world, the Cabecar
vacant-subject nominalized form [it serves as an infinitive, but also as
a nomen agentis, which is why I call it that] is subject to syntactic
control by rules of grammar in suitable contexts, as Jürgen observes;
and in other contexts, as Nigel observes, it is not. I therefore prefer
the more general term 'phoric control' [~ referential control; some
attribute is necessary here to prevent confusion with that control which
distinguishes the actor from the undergoer].
@Ellison: It is true that /-klä/ partly undoes the effect of the
vacant-subject nominalizer. However, the -klä nominalization does
inherit a few properties of the vacant-subject nominalization; for
instance, neither allows representation of an ergative actant.
Otherwise, I concede that the hope of building a regular syntax on
splitting little morphemes in inflected forms may be methodologically
naive in certain cases.
@Riccardo: The grammar of the language does not lend itself to such a
terminological move. On the one hand, as you say, the infinitive is an
inflected form [something that should, in fact, prevent use of the term
'inflected infinitive' for cases like the Portuguese one]. On the other,
Cabecar lacks person marking on the verb, no matter whether finite or
non-finite.

I remain grateful for more ideas,
Christian
--