[Lingtyp] Mapping /l/ to 'tongue'

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:55:10 UTC 2024

Dear Ian,
thank you for an interesting question!
I would like to add an example of an opposite development, namely the loss
of /l/ in a word for 'tongue'.
Starostin & Nikolaev (1994)
<https://starlingdb.org/cgi-bin/response.cgi?single=1&basename=%2fdata%2fcauc%2fcaucet&text_number=102&root=config>,
among others, reconstruct a root for 'tongue' in the Lezgic branch of
Nakh-Daghestanian as *melc: based on the evidence from one of the nine
languages of this branch, namely Tabasaran /melz/. In the other languages,
the reflexes are /mez, miz, muz, mac/.

/l/ in the root 'tongue' is also reconstructed for the Nakh-Daghestanian
family, based both on the Lezgic and Dargwa evidence: in the Dargwa branch,
some languages have a root like /mec/, whereas the majority have something
like /lezmi, lizmi, limzi/ etc. with a metathesis.
Thus, it turns out that /l/, as part of a consonant cluster, was lost in
most Nakh-Daghestanian branches (Nakh, Avar-Andic, Tsezic, Lak, Khinalug)
and also in all but one language of the Lezgic branch.

Very best,
Timur Maisak

пн, 29 апр. 2024 г. в 05:29, JOO Ian via Lingtyp <