[Lingtyp] Mapping /l/ to 'tongue'

zamponi_raoul at libero.it zamponi_raoul at libero.it
Mon Apr 29 13:43:57 UTC 2024

Dear Ian,

I would not claim that ”the common term for ’tongue’ has unexpectedly acquired /l/, either via irregular sound change” in Latin. This statement suggests an ad hoc consonantal change /d/ > /l/, which is not exact because in Latin we also have, for example, dacrima > lacrima and doublets such as odor / olor (see, for example, Leonard 1980). Also note that alternative explanation for dingua > lingua is that the l- of lingua has be adopted from the verb lingō ‘to lick’ (with /l/ from PIE *l).

All the best,

Raoul