[Lingtyp] historical change from a complementizer to a temporal adverbial

Kofi Yakpo kofi at hku.hk
Tue Feb 6 10:22:34 UTC 2024

Dear Yongtaek,

In the African Caribbean English-lexifier Creole Pichi, spoken in
Equatorial Guinea, and probably in related varieties in the region
(Nigerian Pidgin, Cameroon Pidgin), the polyfunctional subordinator 'we'
(possibly sourced from English 'where', although this is not sure),
functions as a relativizer and adverbial (chiefly temporal) subordinator,
and may additionally function as a complementizer to complement-taking main
verbs like 'hear', 'feel sorry' etc, though the latter use is less frequent.

See this book <https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/85>, sec. 10.5.7,
10.6, 10.7.

Best wishes,
Kofi
————
Dr Kofi Yakpo • Associate Professor
Chair of Linguistics <http://www.linguistics.hku.hk/> • University of Hong
Kong <http://arts.hku.hk/>
My publications @ zenodo
<https://zenodo.org/search?q=yakpo&l=list&p=1&s=10&sort=publication-desc> •
 My Page <http://hub.hku.hk/cris/rp/rp01715>

Recently published:

Reciprocal constructions in multilingual contact
<https://doi.org/10.1075/jpcl.00118.yak>

The indigenization of Ghanaian Pidgin English
<https://doi.org/10.1111/weng.12635>

Two types of language contact involving English Creoles
<https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266078421000146>

Social entrenchment influences the amount of areal borrowing
<https://doi.org/10.1177/13670069211019126>