[Lingtyp] Intuitions about inclusive time reference

Lidia Federica Mazzitelli lfmazzitelli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 17:27:00 UTC 2024

Dear Pier Marco,

oh, no problem, I also admit that I don't like to provide examples with
imaginary contexts because I am not good at it, I keep imagining all
possible variables in the context where I would naturally utter such a
sentence, and then I get a bit confused. I would definitely use the forms
you (and Riccardo) provided. And indeed, imagining the following dialogue

A: "*Che mi dici della domanda di Maria?*" "What about Mary's application?"
B:* Tutto bene, la inviava oggi* 'All good, she
send.INDICATIVE:IMPERFECTIVE it today' (implied: as per my latest
knowledge, she wants to send it today) - neutral
but my original example *Tutto bene, la invia oggi *'All good, she sends it
today' has a strong implication that either (i) she has not yet sent it and
will later today or (ii) she was struggling with it and now she's
absolutely certain she is able to send it.

I could also imagine a context where I say "*Oh, oggi Maria invia la
domanda! Chiediamole se l'ha già fatto*" 'Oh, today Maria sends the
application! Let's ask her if she has already done it' - here the main
factor in play is that we (the imaginary third colleague and I) have been
expecting Maria to send it (like 'the great day has finally arrived, today
Maria sends the application'). (or, with another verb: "*Oh, oggi arriva
Francesco dalla Germania! Andiamo a vedere se è già arrivato" *'Today
Francesco arrives from germany. let's go see if he's already arrived' -
*arrivava* IMPERF is also possible).

I think the difference between* inviava* (IND:IMPERF) and *invia*
(IND:PRES) is that in the first case I am reporting what was told to me
yesterday (either by Maria or by someone else), in the second case I am
stating that the expected date of Maria's sending the application has
(finally) arrived. So probably* inviava* is the best answer to Östen's
original question.

(To be sure, I just now asked my mom, also a speaker of Roman Italian
(rephrasing the example into "Ludovica (my sister's name) SEND a letter").
It took me while to get here to produce a sentence without additional
elements like "she promised that", "she said that". I finally suggested the
following context: she and I are chatting, and then she suddeny remembers
my sister's intention to send the letter - what would she say, out of the
blue? She suggested either "*Oh,* *Oggi Ludovica dovrebbe inviare la
lettera*" (she *should send* the letter). When I asked about *"inviava/doveva
inviare*" (sent/had to send - indicative imperfective), she accepted it but
marked it as "incorrect Italian" (because of indicative mood instead of
conditional). Finally, I asked about "*spedisce*" (sends - indicative
present). She also accepted it, but remarked that it would only be fine if
you are absolutely certain that she does send it today, no matter what
time.)

Best, Lidia

PS:  I agree sottomettere may have a negative undertone, and inviare is
just as good. But I really endorse the use of applicare and applicazione to
mean 'apply (for a job/a grant)' and 'application' - I like these loans
very much. There may also be a slight generational difference - my mother
does not use applicare and applicazione either with this meaning, even
though she also works in academia.