[Lingtyp] Intuitions about inclusive time reference

Östen Dahl oesten at ling.su.se
Thu Feb 22 09:34:21 UTC 2024

Dear all,

Björn asks: "In particular, isn't it the case that the current interval called "today" (as part of a chain 'day + night' = 24 hours, or Russ. 'sutki', etc.) gains a somewhat special treatment by people, and that this becomes manifest in language?"

Yes, that is true, but it is made more complex by the fact that part of 'today' is past and part of it is future. So hodiernal tenses are usually either "hodiernal pasts" or "hodiernal futures". I think I haven't seen anything that would qualify for being called a "hodiernal tense" tout court, but my memory may be faulty, and I am prepared to be corrected. And actually 'today' creates a problem for the claim that tense choice is determined by topic time, since we say things like "Today, I met Mary" and "Today, the snow will melt away", where it seems that the tense depends on event time. And as Alex Francois pointed out, some languages have different words for 'today before now' and 'today after now'. So I asked myself: what happens if you want to refer to something that you know happened/will happen today but you don't know when? But this turns out to run into problems, which I think primarily have to do with the fact that events in the past and events in the future more or less by necessity differ in their epistemic or may even ontological status -- although, as we have seen in the discussion, many other considerations come into play.

- Östen