[Lingtyp] Intuitions about inclusive time reference

Ellison Luk ellisonluk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 11:52:25 UTC 2024

Hi Östen and all,

I agree with Siva's English sentence, although I wouldn't entirely disagree
with the compatibility of "Mary submits her proposal today"/"Mary is
submitting her proposal today".

In Hong Kong Cantonese (my native language, but not one I've worked on), I
would probably use what I would call a 'focus nominalisation' construction,
which uses the copula 係 *hai* and attributive 嘅 *ge*. In less careful
speech, the copula can be dropped, but not the attributive, but I haven't
marked this in the examples below. The modals are 要 *jiu *'obligation', 想
*soeng* 'intention', and 應該 *jinggoi* 'should (epistemic)' are optional and
context-dependent, but feel more natural to me. (I've left out the tone
marking, and /j/ represents a palatal approximant)

1. Mary 係(要/想/應該)今日交個proposal嘅。
*Mary hai (jiu / soeng / jinggoi) gamjat gaau go proposal ge*
Mary COPULA (modals) today send.in COUNTER proposal ATTRIBUTIVE
(=It is today that Mary submits the proposal.)

If "proposal" is the topic:

2. 個proposal Mary 係(要/想/應該)今日交嘅。
*go proposal Mary COPULA (jiu / soeng / jinggoi) gamjat gaau ge*
COUNTER proposal Mary COPULA (modals) today send.in ATTRIBUTIVE
(=As for the proposal, Mary is/was to submit it today)

If "today" is the topic:

3. 今日 Mary 係 (要/想/應該)交 個proposal嘅。
*gamjat * *Mary COPULA (jiu / soeng / jinggoi) gaau go proposal ge*
today Mary COPULA (modals) send.in COUNTER proposal ATTRIBUTIVE
(=Today Mary is/was to submit the proposal)

In 2 and 3, the copula can also be moved before the subject 'Mary', but I
don't think the meaning changes significantly.

I suppose the basic construction also works technically, but to me they
don't sound naturalistic or informative enough. Maybe if the modal markers
are included.

4. Mary今日交個proposal。
*Mary gamjat gaau go proposal*
Mary today send.in COUNTER proposal

5. 今日Mary交個proposal。
*gamjat Mary gaau go proposal*
today Mary send.in COUNTER proposal

6. 個proposal今日Mary交 。
*go proposal gamjat Mary gaau*
COUNTER proposal today Mary send.in

I hope this helps, and maybe someone who has actually worked on Cantonese
data can correct or verify this!

Best,
Ellison Luk