[Lingtyp] Zero verb root in Papuan languages

Larry M Hyman hyman at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 28 15:00:09 UTC 2024

I had been holding back Haya, another Bantu language, where in this case *p
> h > Ø. The Proto-Bantu verb *pá 'give' is realized [ha], but the [h] can
be deleted, e.g. o-ku-há-a 'to give' can be realized o-kú-h-a or o-kú-a,
where o-ku- and -a are grammatical affixes (augment, class 15 noun class
prefix, final vowel inflectional suffix), here marking the infinitive.
However, we can still tell that there is a "ghost consonant" for two
reasons:

1) If the verb root were phonologically null, we would expect *ó-kw-a, with
gliding of /u/ before /a/.
2) There still is a High tone from the root (which is anticipated on [kú-]).
3) There is an alternation with [p] after a homorganic nasal: ḿ-pa 'give
me!'.

Thus I don't think Haya is quite there having a /Ø/ verb root... and wonder
if that's something it has in store for the future.
[image: image.png]