[Lingtyp] Looking for two terms

John Peterson jpeterson at isfas.uni-kiel.de
Wed Jan 31 10:47:02 UTC 2024

Many thanks to all who responded to my query on the two case names on
and offline. I will go with _elative_ and _selective_.

I think part of the reason I originally rejected the term _elative_ is
that I was looking for parallel names for the two cases, but that does
not seem feasible here. I especially liked Chris Lasse's suggestion of
_selective _which seems to go back to Beáta Wagner-Nagy's grammar (2019)
of Nganasan where it marks a unit which is selected out of a set of two.
Both differ of course what the markers I am describing - I don't know of
other languages in which the elative can only be used attributively, and
Wagner-Nagy's selective is not a case marker and only for sets of two,
but these two will serve their purpose fine!

Many thanks once again!
John

Am 30.01.2024 20:03, schrieb Christian Lehmann:

> Dear John,
>
> I concur with Chris that a traditionally established term for case #2
> is elative and that it is more difficult to find a term for #1. The
> structural problem in finding or coining a latinate term is probably
> that it is all but excluded to combine two Latin prepositions at the
> start of one such term. One way out is to base the term on a different
> verb than Lat. _ferre_ (-> _lative_), as Chris also suggests. Available
> terms include _separative_ and _asportative_. Neither of these fits
> exactly the function that you describe, unless the inessive + genitive
> turns out to also indicate a separating movement or one of carrying a
> thing away. _Extractive_ would also be possible.
>
> Needless to say, a place to look for possible established terms is in
> grammars of Uralic languages.
>
> Best,
>
> Christian --
>
> Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
> Rudolfstr. 4
> 99092 Erfurt
> Deutschland
>
> Tel.:
> +49/361/2113417
>
> E-Post:
> christianw_lehmann at arcor.de
>
> Web:
> https://www.christianlehmann.eu

John Peterson
Linguistik und Phonetik (ISFAS)
Leibnizstr. 10
D-24118 Kiel
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)431-880 2414
Fax: (+49) (0)431-880 7405

http://www.isfas.uni-kiel.de/de/linguistik/mitarbeitende/john-peterson

"Nós temos duas vidas e a segunda começa quando você percebe que você só
tem uma…" (Mário de Andrade)