[Lingtyp] languages with accusative/ergative alternation

Woodbury, Anthony C woodbury at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 2 23:49:19 UTC 2024

Thanks Martin for your commentary. Just to clear it up, you ask:

>It seems to me that the way Tony labels the arguments here is not well-motivated: Why is ergative-marked "angute-m" an A in the first sentence, but absolutive-marked "angun" an S in the second sentence? Why is 'seal' a P in both sentences?

I was directly quoting Osahito’s example, and the labeling was his. I imagine he was assuming that all ergatives are A and never S since they occur in the construction where two arguments are indexed in the verb; and that all absolutive intransitive subjects are S since they occur where only one argument is indexed in the verb. Meanwhile, he applied a more semantic criterion for P. But I agree it seems inconsistent.

And you ask:

>It's logically possible to say that both these sentences are transitive, each with an A and a P, but do we actually want to say that? Do we want to say that the Yupik ABM ("ablative-modalis") is an accusative case? I'm not sure, so I asked whether any language had been described in this way (does Miyaoka 2012 say that?)

Yes, Inuktitut has been described this way.  There is a longstanding tradition to call the Modalis case ‘Accusative’; and to regard the  Absolutive - Modalis construction as an alternative way of expressing semantic transitivity alongside the cognate of the Yup'ik Ergative - Absolutive construction.  In this tradition, neither of the two is taken as basic. An early and influential example is:

Kalmár, Ivan. 1979. Case and context in Inuktitut (Eskimo). (National Museum of Man Mercury Series, Canadian Ethnology Service Paper No. 49.) Ottawa: National Museums of Canada.

I think a lot of the confusion is that for Yupik-Inuit, ‘transitive' and ‘intransitive’ are understood entirely as labels for constructions where the verb indexes, respectively, two vs. one argument; and this leads one to consider the construction where the patient or undergoer is in the Modalis / Accusative case as “intransitive,” even though it still has two quite canonical arguments.  I think Kalmár’s and others' point of calling the Modalis “Accusative” was to support the idea that the two constructions should be considered as equal alternatives for an underlying or semantic transitivity but with different discourse properties. For Yup'ik, Osahito in his grammar is very nuanced about the alternatives, pointing out discursive differences according to the argument structures of different verbs.

Tony Woodbury