[Lingtyp] Colexificiation of 'hot' and 'cold'

Adam Schembri adamcgschembri at gmail.com
Thu May 30 14:21:39 UTC 2024

Hi Ian

An interesting example – thanks for sharing. I’m not familiar with this specific case, but by ‘non-manual expression’, does your consultant include the use of mouthing? Does the sign mean something like ‘temperature’, accompanied by Japanese mouthing ‘hot’ and ‘cold’?

This phenomenon is attested in some sign languages. For example, in some older varieties of New Zealand Sign Language, signers might use a single sign meaning ‘colour’ which co-occurs with a range of English mouthing for specific colour terms (e.g., ‘red’, ‘blue’ etc).

Mouthing is a language contact phenomenon unique to signed languages – it’s interesting to consider how this fits into ideas about co-lexification, given simultaneous production of a signed hypernym accompanied by mouthed hyponyms.

Best wishes,

Adam

---

Adam Schembri (he/him)

Professor of Linguistics

University of Birmingham

Department of English Language and Linguistics (https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/englishlanguage/index.aspx)

Twitter: @AdamCSchembri

Personal website: https://sites.google.com/view/adamcschembri/home

European Research Council project: www.signmorph.net

www.birmingham.ac.uk

Twitter / Instagram / Facebook / LinkedIn

If you have emailed me and are still waiting for a reply, please do not hesitate to get in touch again! Reminders are welcome. 😊