6.103 Qs: Sycophant, Chickens, /w/ in one, Articles on socioling.

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 25 17:16:19 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-103. Wed 25 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 143

Subject: 6.103 Qs: Sycophant, Chickens, /w/ in one, Articles on socioling.

                           REMINDER

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 13:44:28 -0500 (EST)
From: BLUCHER at UMBC2.UMBC.EDU
Subject: 'Sign Of The Fig'

2)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 15:48:19 +0000 (gmt)
From: "Dr R.M. Blench" (RMB5 at hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Subject: Chickens in Central Asia

3)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 17:13:05 +0100
From: LarsAnders.Kulbrandstad at hamarlh.no (Lars Anders Kulbrandstad) (Lars Anders
 Kulbrandstad)
Subject: Why /w/ in "one"?

4)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 21:53:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Rocio  Jimenez (rjimenez at mailbox.syr.edu)
Subject: Query:articles on topics on sociolinguistics

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 13:44:28 -0500 (EST)
From: BLUCHER at UMBC2.UMBC.EDU

Dear Linguists,
Does anyone 'know' the basis of the etymology of the word, "sycophant"? It is
reportedly based on an accuser making the 'sign of the fig' at an accused.  I
am curious to learn what is the 'sign of the fig' and its relation to the
evolution of the meaning of the word.  Thank you.

Richard Blucher
blucher at umbc2.umbc.edu