6.998, Summaries: Subcategorization Frames

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jul 21 15:47:59 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-998. Fri Jul 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  250

Subject: 6.998, Summaries: Subcategorization Frames

Date:  Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:19:58 EDT
From:  ewb2 at cornell.edu (E. Wayles Browne)
Subject:  Re: 6.329, Subcat frames of verbs

Date:  Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:19:58 EDT
From:  ewb2 at cornell.edu (E. Wayles Browne)

In Linguist 6-329, 04 Mar 1995, I asked:
"For a colleague who is not on the list: What dictionaries (on-line or
printed) are available of subcategorization frames of verbs?  E.g.
obligatory or optional complements or adjuncts, semantic requirements of
particular
predicates. We are interested in English and/or in Slavic languages.
Please write to my address: ewb2 at cornell.edu"
Here now is my delayed (apologies!!) summary of replies.
- --------------------------
>Marija Popova, Krat(u)k valenten rechnik na
>glagolite v s(u)vremennija b(u)lgarski knizhoven ezik, Sofia: BAN 1987 -- I
>think it has the kind of information you're looking for.
vakarel at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (Cynthia Vakareliyska)
- -------------------
You'll surely have many references to the following work, but I'd
suggest your  colleague look into __English Verb Classes and
Alternations__ by Beth Levin. The University of Chicago Press, 1993.

In that work, Levin treats characteristic subcategorial frames for some
3,000 verbs in English.  She then (as the title suggests), characterizes
verb classes by shared sets of alternations.

Nota bene:  In my own work in lexical semantics, I have found Levin to
OVERclaim the traits characteristic of particular verb classes. That is,
when I have checked her work, taking the stated list of alternations
characteristic of a class, checking that against each particular verb
in the class, I have found that there are big mis-matches.  Just because
she says that class X exhibits alternations A, B, and C and lexeme l is
a member of of Class X, that doesn't mean that that lexeme actually
exhibits the alternations claimed of the class.
Nonetheless, her work is a very good reference tool and I do recommend
it to your colleague.
ciao!
rebecca wheeler rebwhlr at cc.usu.edu
- ----------------------------------
     I am working on a PhD dissertation whose title is "Subcategorization
Frames of Bulgarian Verbs within the Framework of Unification-Based
Formalisms", especially HPSG.
     For Bulgarian, a South Slavic language, there is one printed valency
dictionary:
Maria Popova
Short valency dictionary of verbs in Contemporary Bulgarian
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences Publishing House, Sofia, 1987
     There is a Russian dictionary I know of, and it is the following:
G.A.Zolotova
Syntactic Dictionary
Moscow, "Nauka', 1988
      It will take some time until my own model of verbal subcategorization
in Bulgarian is ready. It is intended to serve the needs of Computational
Linguistics.
                        Milena Slavcheva SLAVCHEV at BGEARN.BITNET
                       Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
                       Linguistic Modelling Laboratory
                       25A Acad.G.Bonchev St.
                       1113 Sofia
                       BULGARIA
- ------------------------

- ------------------------
>From: jgodfrey at unagi.cis.upenn.edu (John Godfrey)
>
>I believe that what you are looking for in English is the COMLEX
>Syntax dictionary, part of the "COMmon LEXicon of English" project at
>the Linguistic Data Consortium.  I will point you to our ftp site and
>WWW address, append a short descriptive paper by Grishman, and you or
>your colleague may follow up on these, or correspond with us at LDC at
>the email address ldc at unagi.cis.upenn.edu.  There is a catalog of LDC
>holdings, including a description of COMLEX, among the ftp materials.
>IF ftp is inconvenient, let me know by return mail and we will send a
>paper copy (about 45 pages) to you or your colleague.
>--------------------------------------------------------------------|
>Executive Director,         | Telephone: 215-573-3595               |
>Linguistic Data Consortium  | Fax: 215-573-2175                     |
>441 Williams Hall           |                                       |
>University of Pennsylvania  | E-mail: jgodfrey at unagi.cis.upenn.edu  |
>Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305 |   or:   jgodfrey at hazel.ling.upenn.edu |
>--------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>LDC's ftp site: ftp.cis.upenn.edu (directories beginning at pub/ldc/)
>
>LDC's WWW URL:  ftp://www.cis.upenn.edu/pub/ldc_www/hpage.html
>
>Latex version of paper on COMLEX Syntax [here omitted; contact the ftp
site to get it]
- --------------------------------

- -------------
>Uchebny Slovar' Sochetayemosti Slov Russkogo Yazyka
>edd. P. N. Denisov, V.V. Morkovkin
>Moskva: Izdatyel'stvo "Russki Yazyk" 1978
>which gives characteristic collocates  of 2,500 headwords and their derivates.
>
>Nicholas Ostler
>Linguacubun Ltd
>17 Oakley Road
>London N1 3LL
>+44-171-704-1481             nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
- --------------
For Russian, see Morton Benson, Russian-English
dictionary of verbal collocations (REDVC). Amsterdam/Philadelphia : J. Benjamin
 Pub. Co., 1993., also I.Mel'cuk et al., Tolkovo-kombinatornyj slovar'
russkogo jazyka. Mel'cuk also has 3 volumes of dictionary entries for
French. An important feature of his approach is detailed subcategorization
frames.
W.B.

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Morrill Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.
tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu (1989 to 1993 was: jn5j at cornella.bitnet //