6.1007, Misc: He/She, English only (bilingualism), German lg ban

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jul 25 19:38:35 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1007. Tue Jul 25 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  167

Subject: 6.1007, Misc: He/She, English only (bilingualism), German lg ban

Date:  Tue, 18 Jul 1995 08:27:36 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.976, Disc: He/She

2)
Date:  Thu, 20 Jul 1995 13:59:18 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)
Subject:  Re: 6.967, Disc: English only

3)
Date:  Thu, 20 Jul 1995 13:58:46 EDT
From:  jjeep at miamiu.acs.muohio.edu (John M. Jeep)
Subject:   German Street Names

Date:  Tue, 18 Jul 1995 08:27:36 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

I don't understand how anyone can deal with the
problem of the generic or default masculine pronouns in English
by ignoring the fact that the same phenomenon is found in just
about any other language you can name, including languages
where no pronoun as such is used in such cases but where the
verb forms indicate gender.

Alexis MR