6.1011, Sum: Word Processors for Linguists

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:53:00 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1011. Thu Jul 27 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  276

Subject: 6.1011, Sum: Word Processors for Linguists

Date:  Mon, 24 Jul 1995 23:16:17 EDT
From:  jaske at abacus.bates.edu (Jon Aske)
Subject:  Sum: Word Processors for linguists

Date:  Mon, 24 Jul 1995 23:16:17 EDT
From:  jaske at abacus.bates.edu (Jon Aske)

SUMMARY OF QUESTION ABOUT NUMBERED EXAMPLES, ETC. IN WORD 2 FOR
WINDOWS

First of all I want to thank all those who showed me how to
number examples in Word and gave me other advice.  Secondly, I
want to apologize for not mentioning that I was referring to
Windows programs, and not Mac programs.  Most people who wrote
figured that one out, probably from the version numbers.

In what follows, my comments are in square brackets.

This was the original question:

> I am thinking of moving ("migrating"?) from WordPerfect 6 to MS Word
> 6, which came bundled with my new computer, and would like to know if people
> with similar experiences have anything of interest to say about such a move,
> such as for example any good references to look into (that are not too basic;
> the software didn't come with a reference manual, just the online manual).
>
> Two specific questions:
>
> 1) NUMBERED EXAMPLES: WP can set up counters, which is how I dealt with
> numbered examples.  Word doesn't seem to have a similar
> capability?  Could that be possible?  How do people deal with automatic
> numbering of examples in Word (as well as cross-references to examples)?
>
> 2) FILE MANAGER: This is something where WP is better than Word by a long
> shot, but I understand there are add-ons for Word out there.  Has anybody
> heard of this?
>
> 3) SEARCH SOFTWARE: While I'm at it, I just got a message about a software
> utility called PowerSearch, by CommTech, which has powerful search mechanisms
> and works in Word or WordPerfect (there are two versions).  Has anyone had
> any experience with this? (it is obtainable with ftp).

WINDOWS VS. MAC

[There are more than twice as much PCs out there than Mac's, but perhaps
among linguists the percentages are more even.  I'm not ready to change
though.  I am quite happy with PCs thank you very much.]

From: pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
You don't say whether you're a Mac or PC person, but the reviews of Word 6
for Mac were uniformly enormously negative: they actually ported Woindows
onto the Mac! Since we Mac users continually have to escape the really
lousy Windows imitations of things the Mac does gracefully, we can't imaging
why they did that!
The MacUser review recommended NisusWritier as the word processor of choice
now (and if you are evern going to use alien scripts, there's no substitute);
but you shluld also look at FrameMaker (abvailable for lots of platforms,
ioncluding Windows); it can number an idefinitely large number of different
series, cross-refer between chapters that are separate files, etc. It only
isn't WoldScript-sensitive. (Version 4.0.4 was sort of, but was buggy, and
in the just-released Version 5, they abancdoned it.)

WORDPERFECT VS. WORD

[The advantage of WP for linguists is definitely the special characters it
supports, though the special fonts that come with WP (which are True Type)
will work, I believe, with Word, so Word users can get a hold of these
True Type fonts from their WP user friends.]

From: SEEGMILLER at apollo.montclair.edu ("STEVE SEEGMILLER")
I am in a similar situation: my new office computer came with
Microsoft Office, which includes WORD. I toyed with the idea of switching
from Word Perfect, but after a minimal amount of tinkering with WORD,
I have about abandoned the idea. The main reason, for me, is that
Word Perfect comes with a fairly extensive set of special characters,
which I use a lot. They include several foreign alphabets, most of
the IPA alphabet, characters for logical notation, and so forth.
WORD, as far as I can tell, comes with hardly any of these. So I have
about decided to erase Office from my hard drive and install what I
really use.

NUMBERED EXAMPLES

[Word can indeed number examples or anything at all.  The
terminology is a bit different though, which is why I was
confused.  In WP you set up COUNTERS, but in Word you set up
SEQUENCES.]

[Several people told me that they had gotten this to work, though
they didn't all know how they did it.  However, after they
pointed me in the right direction, I was able to figure it out.]

You set up a counter by using the SEQ field (look in your manual
under fields).  Fields are somewhat like codes in WordPerfect,
they have links to things like counters (chapter number, section,
number) or dates, file names, etc.  One of the fields is SEQ.

(A) Chose: Insert/Field, click SEQ, which will give you a SEQ in
the bottom window; add "ex /n" to the right of the SEQ code in
lower window, press RETURN (the ex is the name or identifier for
the counter, the /n is to increase the number by 1).  The
first time you do this a 1 will show up, the second a 2, etc.
(You can set up more than one such counter/sequence by giving
each sequence a diferent name an Identifier) (There are many
predefined sequences, e.g. {SEQ chapter} refers to chapter
numbers.)

(B) You can create a macro, which then you can assign to a button
or a key combination, which does:
1) Choose a paragraph type you've created which has the right
margins, font size, etc. for your example paragraph; and
2) Right Tab, (, the stuff in (A) above, ), Left Tab.

(C) Cross-referencing examples: Very easy.  First you have to
create a bookmark for an example you want to cross-reference:
a) Highlight the number created in (A) above (along with the
parentheses).
b) Choose Edit/Bookmark, give the bookmark a name (40
characters), e.g. donkey_sentence
c) When you want to refer to it, you type, e.g., "As we saw in
example "; then you click Insert/Cross-reference, click bookmark,
click the name of the bookmark, click insert.  Of course, many of
these operations can be simplified with macros.

There are many possibilities that I haven't mentioned.  For
instance, if you want to number the examples in Ch. 3 in the
format (3.1), all you have to is before you insert the field for
SEQ, you insert the field for the chapter.]

Help on numbering in Word 2 came from: