6.1424, Disc: Self-censorship

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Oct 14 22:50:35 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1424. Sat Oct 14 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  272

Subject: 6.1424, Disc: Self-censorship

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 20:41:00 CDT
From:  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org
Subject:  Self-Censorship on the List

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:55:01 +0200
From:  sberbeco at isl.uit.no (Steven Berbeco)
Subject:  Re: 6.1393, Disc: Self-censorship

3)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:19:09 +0800
From:  alanden at uniwa.uwa.edu.au (Alan Dench)
Subject:  Self-Censorship on the LIST, Historical Data Sets

4)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:30:50 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1390, Disc: Self-Censorship on the LIST, Cheating

5)
Date:  Fri, 13 Oct 1995 09:58:15 GMT
From:  D.W.Salt at derby.ac.uk (Sam Salt)
Subject:  Disc: Self-censorship

6)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 19:10:06 PDT
From:  jdr at sirius.com (Josh Rotenberg)
Subject:  Re: 6.1404, Disc: Self-censorship, Cheating

Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 20:41:00 CDT
From:  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org

John Kingston wrote:
> What I find objectionable about many of these queries is that they
> could be answered by simply going to the nearest library; that is,
> the special expertise of subscribers to the list is not necessary in
> order to find out the answers to many of these questions.

I think I know what he means-- questions like "How many languages are
there?" or "What is phonology?"  But let me take the opportunity to make a
different sort of point, that Internet (not just Linguist List) has the
potential to be a better linguistics library than the Library, but it needs
help to live up to its potential.  Let me explain.

The nearest well-stocked linguistics library to me is an hour's drive away.
(Those of you who live, or have lived, in third world countries, know that
the nearest linguistics library is likely to be even more inaccessible
there.)  Now I can order through interlibrary loan, photocopy services,
etc. an article *if I know it exists*, and I can order a book by mail *if I
know it exists*.  Today I happened to go to that library, and browsed the
shelves.  In two hours I found several recent publications on problems I've
been thinking about.  But I can't drive up there all the time, and even
that library is not particularly well-stocked in some areas (e.g.
computational linguistics).  What I need (and what our third world
colleagues may need even more) is an on-line bibliography resource, so I/we
can find out what is available.  Now there are some such resources; the
LINGUIST WWW server has pointers to several.  But they get out of date, or
otherwise incomplete.  The Kornai bibliography of (mostly) works on
phonology is wonderful-- but it is, I believe, several years out of date.
There are also servers that maintain downloadable versions of *some* papers
(those the authors choose to submit) on *some* topics.

So what would be better?  How about a free central bibliographic
clearinghouse where tables of contents of journals (and abstracts, or even
pointers to where a version can be downloaded, or copies ordered for a
fee).  Several publishers do send TOCs to LINGUIST list now, but what if
all publishers of all linguistic journals (LI, IJAL, IPA, Computational
Linguistics...) and conference proceedings (BLS, CLS...) sent their TOCs to
a bibliographic server?  (Or even their indexes of past issues!)  Likewise
for book titles, and TOCs of books which were collections of papers.

There would still be room for value-added bibliographies (I believe some
now exist on forums like Compuserve, although I haven't tried them), in the
form of content indexing (e.g. keyword listings), etc.

Dream the impossible dream...