6.1293, Qs: Syntactic Particle,Applied Ling,Lang Policy,Questionnaire

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 22 04:41:56 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1293. Thu Sep 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  162

Subject: 6.1293, Qs: Syntactic Particle,Applied Ling,Lang Policy,Questionnaire

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:02:24 EDT
From:  webelhut at gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Gert Webelhuth)
Subject:  Syntactic Particle

2)
Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:01:25 MDT
From:  burt at VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU (Susan Meredith Burt)
Subject:  Applied Linguistics Texts

3)
Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 1995 22:04:11 +0200
From:  shimizu at let.kumamoto-u.ac.jp
Subject:  Linguistic Human Rights

4)
Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:24:23 +0200
From:  gudrun at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE (Gudrun Socher)
Subject:  Questionnaire on the WEB

Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:02:24 EDT
From:  webelhut at gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Gert Webelhuth)

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for an example of a syntactic phenomenon that I thought
would be easy to find but after looking through some books I have dug up
nothing, quite to my surpise. Therefore I am asking for your help today:
I am looking for a language that marks some tense (or aspect, but my
first choice is tense) with a syntactic particle. By particle I mean
something which neither behaves like an auxiliary (i.e. does not bear the
morphology typical of auxiliaries in the language; it also does not have
the word order of auxiliaries) or an adverb (i.e. it does not have the
word order of an adverb, in particular it has a highly restricted word
order, e.g. can only occur immediately before the verb or in
sentence-final or sentence-initial position).
	I would greatly appreciate your help in finding such an example
and would appreciate any references to where I could find one.

Best,

Gert Webelhuth
U of North Carolina at Chapel Hill