7.534, Qs: Navajo, Resources, ASL texts, Teaching

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 11 15:01:46 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-534. Thu Apr 11 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  144

Subject: 7.534, Qs: Navajo, Resources, ASL texts, Teaching

Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:10:21 +0700
From:  WYMANN at isw.unibe.ch (Wymann Adrian)
Subject:  Q: Navajo samples glossing

2)
Date:  Mon, 08 Apr 1996 09:33:46 +0700
From:  hanyf at peter.petra.ac.id (Hany Ferdinando)
Subject:  Linguistic resources

3)
Date:  Tue, 09 Apr 1996 11:08:16 PDT
From:  baltes at jkhbhrc.byu.edu (Paul Baltes)
Subject:  ASL texts

4)
Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 19:49:17 +0900
From:  masuya at mxb.meshnet.or.jp (Yoshihiro Masuya)
Subject:  Teaching Foreign Languages

Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:10:21 +0700
From:  WYMANN at isw.unibe.ch (Wymann Adrian)

I am currently compiling material on modal expressions in a language sample
which includes Navajo. Going through various sources of published material has
provided me with numerous examples, but the going regularly gets tough when
dealing with older material, as this is often not glossed and requires some
amount of tedious work (for a linguist with no practical knowledge of Navajo)
in order to establish the morphological structure of a sentence. Despite
numerous attempts, two examples (both from Young & Morgan, 1980) have so far
beaten me completely, and I would appreciate any help concerning the
morphological segmentation of the following two examples (diacritics omitted
and approximate standard ASCII characters substituted for non-standard ASCII
characters):

a) haashii neelaa naahaiidaa 'ahoot'iid jini
   "it reportedly happened quite a number of years ago"
   Young & Morgan (1980, 63)

b) dii chidi dah dideesh' aalgo 'at'e (haz'a) shila'bee
   "I can lift this car up with my (bare) arms"
   Young & Morgan (1980, 59)

Any hints sent to me directly would be much appreciated.
Adrian Wymann, Linguistics Dept., University of Berne, Switzerland
wymann at isw.unibe.ch